Friday, June 29, 2012

Flannel Friday: Silly S'mores

I have not generally been in the habit of creating a brand-new flannel board each week - mostly because my coworkers have been doing this a lot longer than I have, and as such, have amassed quite the collection of awesome flannel boards. I did have an idea for our camping week, however, that I really wanted to try out. Unfortunately, I was out the day my story time was scheduled, so my coworker ended up doing it for me. She said it went pretty well, though I have a feeling this is one better suited to 4s & 5s than 2s & 3s.

Essentially, I wanted the kids to help me build a s'more.My original idea involved trying to add all sorts of healthy fruits and veggies to it, in the hopes that I'd get a chorus of "Nooooos!". (Obviously, adding anything resembling broccoli to a s'more would be akin to blasphemy.) Then I realized that a number of my 2s and 3s might not be familiar with a s'more, so I decided to get a lot more obvious with my incorrect ingredients.


I don't think it gets much more obvious than a shoe! (Well, I hope.)



Or a fish!


Mmmmm, a delicious chocolate-marshmallow-shoe-fish s'more! My favorite!


Aaaand eventually we would end up with a regular s'more - nothing but graham crackers, chocolate and marshmallows. The fish and the shoe were all I ended up having time to make, but I'd planned on doing a plate of spaghetti, a baseball, a computer, etc. For the 4s and 5s, I probably would have gone the vegetable/fruit route, instead, but I figured with 2s and 3s, just differentiating between Food and Not was probably enough.

We also have a chef puppet, which I'd debated bringing out so he could promise the kids "ze best s'more in ze world!" (Probably would have had to work on my French accent for that one.) Anyway, that's the general idea! If you try it out, let me know how it goes over, since I didn't get the chance to use it myself!

6 comments:

  1. Love your pieces! Are they made from felt? They look so crisp and clean!

    Cute idea! Thanks for sharing it this week. :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did these from craft foam, actually, with bits of velcro attached to the back. Much, much easier to get clean lines that way, and we have quite a collection of it in our back room, so it's a good way to use up scraps and leftovers.

      Glad you liked it!

      Delete
  2. Very cute! I have a camping storytime planned too, so I might have to try this one out! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll keep an eye out for that, if you end up posting about it! I'd be interested to see what books you use - I had a hard time finding ones I really liked.

      Delete
  3. Welcome to Flannel Friday Miss Angela! The pieces you have turned out really cute. I'm sure you can find a good excuse to use the flannel soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why, thank you, Miss Sarah! I figure the fish shouldn't be too hard to re-purpose, and I can always use the shoe for a clothes story time.

      Delete